Another word for breakNoun
The act of breaking
Quarrel and separation
Another word for breakVerb
To start a rupture
To fall apart
- Splinter , the splitting of wood, bone, etc. into long, thin, sharp pieces: all of these terms are used figuratively to imply great force or damage to break one's heart, smash one's hopes, crush the opposition, shatter one's nerves, etc.
- Fracture , the breaking of a hard or rigid substance, as bone or rock
- Split , separation lengthwise, as along the direction of the grain or layers
- Crack , incomplete separation of parts or a sharp, snapping noise in breaking
- Shatter , sudden fragmentation and a scattering of pieces
- Crush suggests a crumpling or pulverizing pressure
- Smash and crash add connotations of suddenness, violence, and noise
- Break , the most general of these terms, expresses their basic idea of separating into pieces as a result of impact, stress, etc.