- Consolidate implies a merger of distinct and separate units into a single whole for resulting compactness, strength, efficiency, etc. to consolidate one's debts
- Associate implies a joining with another or others as a companion, partner, etc. and, in extended use, suggests a connection made in the mind to associate Freud's name with psychoanalysis
- Link stresses firmness of a connection linked together in a common cause
- Connect implies attachment by some fastening or relationship roads connected by a bridge, the duties connected with a job
- Unite implies a joining or combining of things to form a single whole the United States
- Combine implies a mingling together of things, often with a loss of distinction of elements that completely merge with one another to combine milk and water
- Join is the general term implying a bringing or coming together of two or more things and may suggest direct contact, affiliation, etc.