Part of speech:
Any charitable, educational, or religious organization for helping persons in need
An aim that guides action; an objective:
Something worked toward or striven for; a goal.
A mark formed by or as if by a sharp end.
The definition of an idea is a thought, belief, opinion or plan.
A visionary scheme; a wild conceit; an idle fancy.
(Slang) Cosmetic surgery performed on a (specified) body part
To signify or mean:
The definition of hope is a feeling of optimism or a desire that something will happen.
The ultimate purpose for which something is created or intended.
A visionary plan or project
A plan, action, etc. proposed
An object of such desire; an ambition.
Steadfastness, as in purpose or affection; faithfulness.
A plan; scheme; project
The definition of aim means to point or direct or to try with a particular goal in mind.
To have as a specific aim or purpose; intend:
The definition of confidence is trust, faith, self-assurance or something told in secret.
The addition of a differentia to a concept or notion, thus limiting its extent; -- the opposite of generalization.
A set of religious doctrines; a body of dogma:
Of or indicating direction:
The definition of functional is something that is useful for its intended purpose.
Having more than one purpose or use
(Grammar) expressing end or purpose.
A predetermined course of events considered as something beyond human power or control:
A tool for enlarging or shaping holes
An undisclosed plan, especially one with an ulterior motive.
Movement or tendency to move resulting from this force; impetus
The true meaning or intention of something, especially of a law.
A particular system of principles for the conduct of life
To strive toward an end or condition:
The definition of contemplate is to look at something, think about something or meditate about something for a long time.
propose or intend
To come to an end; terminate
propose or intend
The definition of mean is to have in mind as a purpose.
To supply a motive for; motivate
To reach a decision or make a determination:
propose or intend
To consume, expend, or exhaust by use
Task is something that has to be done.
A point reached or gained:
The cause or intention underlying a given action or situation:
Firmness of character or action; determination:
Strong and fixed purpose; determination
The strength of will to carry out one's decisions, wishes, or plans.
To form a plan or intention for:
To aim something, especially a weapon, at (a target).
Something that can or should be done (usually in the phrase dos and don'ts).
What one intends to do or achieve
A certain indefinite number; certain ones (of)
A strong wish or craving
The value of any chance (as the prospect of prize or property) which depends upon some contingent event.
A course or line of development; a tendency toward a particular end or goal:
The quality of being persistent; tenacity
- Objective refers to a specific end that is capable of being reached her immediate objective is to pass the course
- Object is used of an end that is the direct result of a need or desire the object of the discussion was to arouse controversy
- End emphasizes the final result one hopes to achieve as distinct from the process of achieving it does a desirable end ever justify the use of immoral means?
- Goal suggests laborious effort in striving to attain something the presidency was the goal of his ambition
- Aim refers to a specific intention and connotes a directing of all efforts toward this his aim is to become a doctor
- Intent , a somewhat formal term common in legal usage, connotes more deliberation assault with intent to kill
- Intention is the general word implying a having something in mind as a plan or design, or referring to the plan had in mind
- Purpose connotes a defined or specific resolution or determination in the plan had in mind I have a purpose in writing you
Find another word for purpose. In this page you can discover 89 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for purpose, like: mission, intention, objective, point, goal, idea, dream, teleology, job, intend and hope.