- Aplomb refers, usually in a favorable sense, to an evident assurance of manner manifesting self-possession she stood her ground with admirable aplomb See also syn. study at belief.
- Self-possession suggests that presence of mind which results from the ability to control one's feelings and behavior
- Assurance , in this connection, suggests an even stronger belief in one's ability, but in an unfavorable sense, it may connote (as may, occasionally, confidence ) conceited or arrogant self-sufficiency
- shy and lacking in self-confidence
- Confidence , in this comparison, implies belief in one's own abilities, or, esp. in the form self-confidence , reliance on one's own powers he has confidence he will succeed