- Utensil is used of any implement or container for domestic use, esp. a pot, pan, etc.
- Appliance specifically suggests a mechanical or power-driven device, esp. one for household use
- Instrument specifically implies use for delicate work or for scientific or artistic purposes surgical instruments and may also be applied, as are tool and implement , to a thing or person serving as a means to an end
- Implement applies to any device used to carry on some work or effect some purpose agricultural implements
- Tool is commonly applied to manual implements such as are used in carpentry, plumbing, etc.