- Construe suggests a careful interpretation of something especially where meaning is ambiguous her silence was construed as agreement
- To interpret is to bring out meanings not immediately apparent, as by translation, searching insight, or special knowledge how do you interpret his behavior?
- Elucidate implies a shedding light upon by clear and specific explanation, illustration, etc. to elucidate the country's foreign policy
- Explicate implies a scholarly analysis or exposition that is developed in detail the explication of a Biblical passage
- Expound implies a systematic and thorough explanation, often by a person having expert knowledge to expound a theory
- Explain implies making clear or intelligible something that is not known or understood to explain how a machine operates