- Prologue applies to the preliminary section as of a play or poem, serving as an introduction and, in the play, frequently spoken by one of the characters
- Preamble refers to a formal, but usually brief, introduction to a constitution, treaty, etc.
- Foreword is a brief preface written by someone other than the author
- the preface may also include acknowledgments for help or for permissions granted for use of previously published material
- Preface refers to a statement preliminary to a book, written by the author or editor and explaining the purpose, plan, or preparation of the work
- Introduction , in strict usage, refers to the preliminary section of a book, etc. that explains and leads into the subject proper