- Boner and booboo , slang terms, are applied to a silly or ridiculous blunder
- A faux pas is a social blunder or error in etiquette that causes embarrassment
- A slip is a mistake, usually slight, made inadvertently in speaking or writing
- Blunder carries a suggestion of more severe criticism and implies such causes as stupidity, clumsiness, or inefficiency a tactical blunder cost them the war
- Mistake suggests an error resulting from carelessness, inattention, misunderstanding, etc. and does not in itself carry a strong implication of criticism a mistake in reading a blueprint
- Error implies deviation from truth, accuracy, correctness or right and is the broadest term in this comparison an error in judgment, in computation, etc.