- Sway emphasizes influence intended to turn a person from a given course threats will not sway us See also syn. study at pretend.
- Touch and the stronger move , as considered here, are both applied to the arousing of sympathy or other emotion, but move also denotes influencing so as to bring about a change or a show of feeling his story moved me to tears
- Impress is used of that which produces a deep or lasting effect on the mind
- To influence is to affect in such a way as to produce a change in action, thought, nature, or behavior to influence legislation
- her death affected us deeply
- Affect implies the producing of an effect strong enough to evoke a reaction interest rates affect housing sales