- Demure , in current usage, suggests a decorously modest manner, often one that is affectedly so
- Modest implies a reserved, unassuming manner in one who, because of ability, achievements, etc. might be expected to assert himself or herself strongly and often suggests moderation in behavior, speech, dress, etc.
- Diffident implies a lack of self-confidence that makes one reluctant to assert oneself
- Bashful implies such shyness as is displayed in awkward behavior and embarrassed timidity
- Shy implies a shrinking from the notice of others and a reticence in approaching them