Part of speech:
The definition of grave is something that is serious or taken seriously or doing something in a solemn or sedate manner.
Stern or forbidding, as in manner or appearance:
Persistent in request or demand; insistent
(Rare) Resisting change; fixed
The definition of determined is someone with their mind made up about something.
Dire is defined as something that is urgent.
The definition of grim is something that is so unpleasant it pushes you away.
Said or done without humor:
Having the mind and will focused on a specific purpose:
Deeply earnest; very sincere
Causing danger; ready to do harm or injury.
Causing suffering; hard to bear; severe
The definition of important is having great significance or consequence.
Showing or having characteristics advantageous to or of use in business; methodical and systematic.
Capable of or producing reflection:
Sedate is defined as to make calm or sleepy.
Temperate in any way; not extreme or extravagant
Mildly dizzy or faint:
Having considerable weight; heavy.
Heedful, careful, attentive, etc.; esp., considerate of others; kind
Not indulging in or tolerating nonsense, impracticality, etc.; matter-of-fact; practical and serious
Difficult to endure; severe; harsh:
Marked by difficulty or strong resistance; laborious:
Hard to understand; abstruse
Engaged in deep and serious thought.
The definition of trivial is insignificant, or of no importance.
Not important; insignificant or petty.
Affording comfort or relief; soothing:
Able to be depended on for the discharge of obligations incurred; of unimpaired credit.
Based on the scale pattern of the minor mode
The definition of cheerful is a person or thing that brings joy, humor or good spirits.
(Archaic) Talkative; voluble.
Devoid of extreme qualities, such as exaggeration; sober.
Demanding great effort or labor; difficult:
Full of or marked by dignity and seriousness
Designating or of heavy-duty clothing designed for wear while engaged in manual or outdoor labor
Causing or marked by danger or pain, for example
(Rare) Grave; sober
Not easy to do, achieve, or master
(Of a story) Hard to believe, such as a tall story or a tall tale.
- Sober implies a seriousness marked by temperance, self-control, emotional balance, etc. a sober criticism
- Earnest suggests a seriousness of purpose marked by sincerity and enthusiasm an earnest desire to help
- Sedate implies a dignified, quiet or composed, sometimes even prim seriousness a sedate clergyman
- Solemn suggests an impressive or awe-inspiring seriousness a solemn ceremony
- Grave implies the dignified weightiness of heavy responsibilities or cares a grave expression on his face
- Serious implies absorption in deep thought or involvement in something really important as distinguished from something frivolous or merely amusing he takes a serious interest in the theater
Find another word for serious. In this page you can discover 76 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for serious, like: grave, severe, pressing, earnest, staid, unsmiling, determined, difficult, dire, grim and humorless.