Part of speech:
The definition of grave is something that is serious or taken seriously or doing something in a solemn or sedate manner.
Stern or forbidding, as in manner or appearance:
Persistent in request or demand; insistent
The definition of determined is someone with their mind made up about something.
(Rare) Resisting change; fixed
Deeply earnest; very sincere
Dire is defined as something that is urgent.
The definition of grim is something that is so unpleasant it pushes you away.
The definition of important is having great significance or consequence.
Having the mind and will focused on a specific purpose:
Said or done without humor:
Causing danger; ready to do harm or injury.
Causing suffering; hard to bear; severe
Showing or having characteristics advantageous to or of use in business; methodical and systematic.
Capable of or producing reflection:
Sedate is defined as to make calm or sleepy.
Designating or of heavy-duty clothing designed for wear while engaged in manual or outdoor labor
Temperate in any way; not extreme or extravagant
Heedful, careful, attentive, etc.; esp., considerate of others; kind
Mildly dizzy or faint:
Not indulging in or tolerating nonsense, impracticality, etc.; matter-of-fact; practical and serious
Having considerable weight; heavy.
Difficult to endure; severe; harsh:
Hard to understand; abstruse
Not easy to do, achieve, or master
Marked by difficulty or strong resistance; laborious:
Engaged in deep and serious thought.
Not important; insignificant or petty.
Of little or no importance; insignificant; trifling
Affording comfort or relief; soothing:
Based on the scale pattern of the minor mode
(Archaic) Talkative; voluble.
Devoid of extreme qualities, such as exaggeration; sober.
Demanding great effort or labor; difficult:
Full of or marked by dignity and seriousness
Causing or marked by danger or pain, for example
Able to be depended on for the discharge of obligations incurred; of unimpaired credit.
(Rare) Grave; sober
The definition of cheerful is a person or thing that brings joy, humor or good spirits.
(Of a story) Hard to believe, such as a tall story or a tall tale.
- Sober implies a seriousness marked by temperance, self-control, emotional balance, etc. a sober criticism
- Earnest suggests a seriousness of purpose marked by sincerity and enthusiasm an earnest desire to help
- Sedate implies a dignified, quiet or composed, sometimes even prim seriousness a sedate clergyman
- Solemn suggests an impressive or awe-inspiring seriousness a solemn ceremony
- Grave implies the dignified weightiness of heavy responsibilities or cares a grave expression on his face
- Serious implies absorption in deep thought or involvement in something really important as distinguished from something frivolous or merely amusing he takes a serious interest in the theater
Find another word for serious. In this page you can discover 76 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for serious, like: grave, severe, pressing, earnest, unsmiling, determined, staid, solemn, disturbing, momentous and dire.