- Captivate implies a capturing of the attention or affection, but suggests a light, passing influence
- Fascinate and enchant both also suggest a magical power, fascinate stressing an irresistible holding of interest and enchant the evoking of great delight
- Charm suggests the literal or figurative casting of a spell and implies very pleasing qualities in the agent
- Allure implies attraction by that which seductively offers pleasure, delight, reward, etc.
- Attract implies the exertion of a force such as magnetism to draw a person or thing and connotes susceptibility in the thing drawn