- Emolument is an elevated substitute for salary or ?wages and may refer to additional benefits and perquisites
- Pay is a general term equivalent to any of the preceding, but it is specifically used of compensation to members of the armed forces
- Fee applies to the payment requested or given for professional services, as of a doctor, lawyer, artist, etc.
- Stipend is a somewhat lofty substitute for salary , or it is applied to a pension or similar fixed payment
- Salary applies to fixed compensation usually paid at longer intervals, often monthly or semimonthly, esp. to clerical or professional workers
- Wage (also often ?wages) applies to money paid an employee at relatively short intervals, often daily, or weekly, esp. for manual or physical labor