- To vindicate is to clear (a person or thing under attack) through evidence of the unfairness of the charge, criticism, etc.
- Forgive implies giving up all claim that an offense be punished as well as any resentment or vengeful feelings
- To pardon is to release from punishment for an offense the prisoner was pardoned by the governor
- To exonerate is to relieve of all blame for a wrongdoing
- Acquit means to clear of a specific charge by a judicial decision, usually for lack of evidence
- Absolve implies a setting free from responsibilities or obligation absolved from her promise or from the penalties for their violation