This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Learn more

Another word for trench

      1. A deep gully cut by an intermittent stream; a dry gulch.
      2. A brook; a creek.
      1. A small ravine, especially one cut by a torrent.
      1. A deep narrow passage with steep rocky sides; a ravine.
      2. A narrow entrance into the outwork of a fortification.
      3. The throat; the gullet:
      1. Most important; principal.
      2. Exerted to the utmost; sheer:
      3. Connected to or located near the mainmast:
      1. The bed of a stream or river.
      2. The deeper part of a river or harbor, especially a deep navigable passage.
      3. A broad strait, especially one that connects two seas.
      1. To draw off (a liquid) by a gradual process:
      2. To cause liquid to go out from; empty:
      3. To draw off the surface water of:
      1. A deep wide ditch, usually filled with water, typically surrounding a fortified medieval town, fortress, or castle as a protection against assault.
      2. A ditch similar to one surrounding a fortification:
      3. To surround with or as if with a moat.
      1. A small stream, often a shallow or intermittent tributary to a river.
      2. A channel or stream running through a salt marsh:
      3. A small inlet in a shoreline, extending farther inland than a cove.
      1. A long, narrow, shallow trench made in the ground by a plow.
      2. A rut, groove, or narrow depression:
      3. A deep wrinkle in the skin, as on the forehead.
      1. A hollow cylinder, especially one that conveys a fluid or functions as a passage.
      2. An organic structure having the shape or function of a tube; a duct:
      3. A small flexible cylindrical container sealed at one end and having a screw cap at the other, for pigments, toothpaste, or other pastelike substances.
      1. A channel at the edge of a street or road for carrying off surface water.
      2. A trough fixed under or along the eaves for draining rainwater from a roof.
      3. A furrow or groove formed by running water.
      1. The act of depressing.
      2. The condition of being depressed.
      3. An area that is sunk below its surroundings; a hollow.
      1. A deep ditch or channel cut in the earth by running water after a prolonged downpour.
      2. To wear a deep ditch or channel in.
      3. To form a deep ditch or channel.
      1. Having a cavity, gap, or space within:
      2. Deeply indented or concave; sunken:
      3. Without substance or character:
      1. A sunken track or groove made by the passage of vehicles.
      2. An uninspired routine or pattern of behavior that one continues unthinkingly or because change is difficult.
      3. To make ruts in (a path, for example).
      1. A long narrow trench or furrow dug in the ground, as for irrigation, drainage, or a boundary line.
      2. To dig or make a long narrow trench or furrow in.
      3. To surround with a long narrow trench or furrow.
    See also: