Traces of the moat and the foundations are still to be seen in Priory Close.
In plan it is a triangle, protected by a double moat, and has round towers at the angles.
But this practice was discontinued in 1852 and the moat was filled with earth in 1905.
Each of these canals marks the line of the city walls and moat at different periods.
The inner city, including the business quarter, is contained almost entirely between the river and the Rosenlunds canal, continued in the Vallgraf, the moat of the old fortifications; and is crossed by the Storahamn, Ostrahamn and Vestrahamn canals.