Part of speech:
Using high-flown, pompous, bombastic words and expressions
(Obs.) Decorated with flowers; flowery
Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious:
Full in sound; sonorous:
The definition of lofty is very high in the air, elevated in character, or overly grand.
Having grandeur or magnificence; imposing; impressive
Extravagantly ambitious or aspiring
Made of fustian
Full of ornate or grandiloquent expressions; highly embellished:
The definition of pretentious is someone or something that claims to be very important or grand.
Full of empty or pretentious language; bombastic:
Of, having the nature of, or characterized by euphuism
The definition of turgid is something swollen or bloated, or language or style that is designed to show-off.
Given to oratory
The definition of flamboyant is someone or something that is extravagant or looks flame-like in color or form.
Flowing effortlessly; polished:
Of or about a hero and his deeds; epic
The definition of highfalutin is arrogant or pompous.
(Music) Of, relating to, or performed by singing:
Using an excessive number of words.
Splendid or brilliant, often affectedly so
Having or producing a full, deep, or rich sound.
Straightforward; frank or candid:
The slender part of a flower pistil, connecting the ovary and the stigma. The pollen tube grows through the style delivering the pollen nuclei to the ovary.
Characterized by language that is elevated and sometimes pompous in style
Understanding and tolerant; liberal:
- Turgid implies such inflation of style as to obscure meaning
- Euphuistic is applied to an extremely artificial style of writing in which there is a straining for effect at the expense of thought
- Flowery language is full of figurative and ornate expressions and high-sounding words
- Grandiloquent suggests an overreaching eloquence and implies the use of grandiose, high-flown language and an oratorical tone
- Bombastic refers to speech or writing that is pompous and inflated and suggests extravagant verbal padding and little substance
Find another word for bombastic. In this page you can discover 42 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for bombastic, like: grandiloquent, florid, pompous, declamatory, orotund, lofty, inflated, grandiose, rhetorical, high-sounding and high-flown.