Part of speech:
Making or given to making amusing jokes or witticisms:
Amusing in an odd or wry way
Causing laughter or mirth
Full of light; shining.
Skillful in doing something; adroit; dexterous
Comparatively high on the scale of brightness:
Given to joking; merry.
Nimble of mind; alert
Characterized by joking.
Joking or trying to be jocular, esp. at an inappropriate time
Eager; enthusiastic; much interested
Characterized by, arising from, or subject to whimsy:
Clever, resourceful, original, and inventive
Sprightly and lighthearted in disposition, character, or quality.
Terse and full of substance or meaning
Suggestive of the sea or sailing life.
Animated, brilliant, or highly skilled:
Having the ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; sagacious:
Of or having to do with comedy
Fierce or impetuous; violent:
- Jocose suggests a mildly mischievous quality in joking or jesting, sometimes to the point of facetiousness
- Jocular implies a happy or playful disposition characterized by the desire to amuse others
- Facetious is now usually derogatory in suggesting an inappropriate or ill-chosen attempt to be witty or humorous
- Humorous connotes more geniality, gentleness, or whimsicality in saying or doing something that is deliberately comical or amusing
- Witty implies sharp, amusing cleverness and spontaneity in perceiving and commenting on, esp. in repartee and sometimes sarcastically, the incongruities in life
Find another word for witty. In this page you can discover 30 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for witty, like: funny, droll, intelligent, amusing, brilliant, clever, bright, unamusing, humorous, jocose and quick-witted.