Part of speech:
Having no aim or purpose
The definition of fortuitous is happening by chance.
(Statistics) Involving or containing a random variable or process:
The definition of irregular is something that doesn't conform to accepted or normal standards or that doesn't occur at regular intervals.
Determined by independent arbiter.
Having no specific pattern, purpose, or objective:
(Music) Of an accidental
Straying or having strayed; wandering or lost:
The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
The definition of chance is accidental or not expected or planned.
The definition of haphazard is something disorganized or without any particular order to it.
The definition of casual is someone or something relaxed, occasional, not planned or informal.
Occurring at irregular intervals or in isolated or scattered places; having no pattern or order:
Presented between major radio or television programs:
Having no particular purpose, organization, or structure; random.
Not addressed, as a letter
Not purposeful; aimless
Occurring on a particular occasion
(Obs.) Undisciplined; unmanageable
(comparative more ordered, superlative most ordered)
The definition of definite is something that has limits, is clear in meaning, absolutely true and positive.
Not able or willing to notice, understand, or judge
Having no fixed or regular course; wandering:
Dependent on chance, luck, or an uncertain outcome:
Arising from an external cause or factor; not inherent:
Administered by a proxy
Without cause or justification; uncalled-for
Characterized by the use of method or orderly planning; methodical
- Chance emphasizes accidental occurrence without prearrangement or planning a chance encounter
- Desultory suggests a lack of method or system, as in jumping from one thing to another her desultory reading in the textbook
- Casual implies happening or seeming to happen by chance without intention or purpose and often connotes nonchalance, indifference, etc. a casual glance at the newspaper
- Haphazard applies to that which is done, made, or said without regard for its consequences, relevance, etc. and therefore stresses the implication of accident or chance a haphazard selection of books
- Random applies to that which occurs or is done without careful choice, aim, plan, etc. a random remark
Find another word for random. In this page you can discover 44 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for random, like: aimless, fortuitous, stochastic, irregular, arbitrary, planless, hazarded, accidental, stray, capricious and serendipity.