Part of speech:
(Computing, not comparable) Generally recognised; reserved for some usual purpose.
Known and praised widely; noted.
Arousing fear or awe; formidable.
Distinguished; well-known; renowned; eminent
Very clear; evident
The definition of eminent is someone or something that rises above or is distinguished or outstanding.
Regarded as proper usage; standard
A person of distinction; famous or well-known person
Extensive in time or distance:
The definition of brilliant is someone or something that is very bright, either in terms of intelligence or because it is shiny or intensely colored.
The definition of prestigious is someone or something that is highly respected or esteemed.
Widely known and discussed
Imposing because of great size, beauty, and extent; magnificent
Much talked about or widely known; famous; renowned (for something)
First in rank or importance; leading
Widely but unfavorably known or talked about
Illustrious; heroic; brilliant; celebrated; famous; as, a splendid victory or reputation.
(Archaic) Ornamented with designs showing scenes as from history
Accepted by or prevalent among the people in general:
The definition of excellent is someone or something as exceptional or of high quality.
The definition of extraordinary is something or someone that is unusual, exceptional or remarkable.
Widely known and esteemed
widely known and esteemed
Attracting or worthy of notice, especially for being unusual or extraordinary:
Worth being remembered or noted; remarkable:
Of or performing a lead in a theatrical production:
The definition of important is having great significance or consequence.
Having a good reputation; well-known
Inspiring awe and reverence; imposing and magnificent
The definition of influential is someone or something that has an impact on or shapes how people act or how things occur.
Not well known or widely known:
Notable; distinguished; honored.
Lacking distinction; ordinary.
Publicly issued and sold:
Widely recognized or acclaimed; famous:
Difficult to understand.
The definition of legendary is someone or something that has become famous or well-known, usually as a result of a distinctive or unique characteristic or skill.
Widely known; specif., significant and widely know within a particular field
Easy to notice; obvious:
Having or showing a consciousness of one's defects or shortcomings; not overly proud; not self-assertive; modest
Impressive, as in size, power, or accomplishment:
- Illustrious suggests a reputation based on brilliance of achievement or splendidness of character
- Eminent more strongly stresses the conspicuous superiority of persons or things
- Distinguished implies a being noted as superior in its class or of its kind
- Notorious , in current usage, suggests a being widely but unfavorably known or talked about
- Noted implies a being brought to the wide notice of the public for some particular quality
- Celebrated is applied to persons or things that have received much public honor or praise
- Renowned suggests fame or honor achieved through some outstanding quality or accomplishment
- Famous is applied to persons or things that have received wide public attention and are generally known and talked about
Find another word for famous. In this page you can discover 70 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for famous, like: well-known, celebrated, renowned, redoubtable, noted, illustrious, talked of, distinguished, eminent, reputable and notable.