Part of speech:
(Computing, not comparable) Generally recognised; reserved for some usual purpose.
Known and praised widely; noted.
Arousing fear or awe; formidable.
Distinguished; well-known; renowned; eminent
Very clear; evident
Regarded as proper usage; standard
Extensive in time or distance:
A person of distinction; famous or well-known person
The definition of eminent is someone or something that rises above or is distinguished or outstanding.
Widely but unfavorably known or talked about
The definition of extraordinary is something or someone that is unusual, exceptional or remarkable.
Imposing because of great size, beauty, and extent; magnificent
The definition of prestigious is someone or something that is highly respected or esteemed.
Widely known and discussed
Widely known and esteemed
Much talked about or widely known; famous; renowned (for something)
widely known and esteemed
First in rank or importance; leading
The definition of brilliant is someone or something that is very bright, either in terms of intelligence or because it is shiny or intensely colored.
Illustrious; heroic; brilliant; celebrated; famous; as, a splendid victory or reputation.
Accepted by or prevalent among the people in general:
The definition of excellent is someone or something as exceptional or of high quality.
Having a good reputation; well-known
Attracting or worthy of notice, especially for being unusual or extraordinary:
Inspiring awe and reverence; imposing and magnificent
The definition of important is having great significance or consequence.
The definition of influential is someone or something that has an impact on or shapes how people act or how things occur.
Impressive, as in size, power, or accomplishment:
Publicly issued and sold:
Worth being remembered or noted; remarkable:
Widely recognized or acclaimed; famous:
Not well known or widely known:
Difficult to understand.
Having or showing a consciousness of one's defects or shortcomings; not overly proud; not self-assertive; modest
Widely known; specif., significant and widely know within a particular field
Notable; distinguished; honored.
(Archaic) Ornamented with designs showing scenes as from history
Lacking distinction; ordinary.
Of or performing a lead in a theatrical production:
Easy to notice; obvious:
- Illustrious suggests a reputation based on brilliance of achievement or splendidness of character
- Eminent more strongly stresses the conspicuous superiority of persons or things
- Distinguished implies a being noted as superior in its class or of its kind
- Notorious , in current usage, suggests a being widely but unfavorably known or talked about
- Noted implies a being brought to the wide notice of the public for some particular quality
- Celebrated is applied to persons or things that have received much public honor or praise
- Renowned suggests fame or honor achieved through some outstanding quality or accomplishment
- Famous is applied to persons or things that have received wide public attention and are generally known and talked about
Find another word for famous. In this page you can discover 64 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for famous, like: well-known, celebrated, redoubtable, noted, talked of, renowned, preeminent, distinguished, illustrious, honored and reputable.