Part of speech:
A rival business, team, etc.
An opposing contestant
The definition of a colleague is someone with whom you work.
A member of a business partnership.
A member of less than full status, as of a society, institute, etc.
Software or hardware that allows one computer to perform the functions of, or execute programs designed for, another type of computer
The space shuttle Challenger, named after the HMS Challenger (1858), destroyed on January 28, 1986 with loss of its seven-member crew.
A student who is near to completion of the requirements for a degree
One that is equal to another:
One who opposes or is hostile to an idea or cause:
A person who opposes or fights against another; opponent; enemy
A muscle that opposes the action of another muscle, as by relaxing while the other one contracts, thereby producing smooth, coordinated movement.
One who assails or attacks; attacker
A supporter or advocate. [Late 16th century.]
A person who plays a game
The definition of a defendant is a person being sued or accused of a crime.
A personal enemy or opponent.
A party to a legal action.
(Heraldry) Either of a pair of figures, as of animals or men, standing one on either side of a shield
The definition of an anti is a person who has beliefs contrary to another cause or concept.
(Ecclesiastical) One who disagrees or dissents; one who separates from the established religion.
(Gr. Myth., person, proper) The goddess of retributive justice, or vengeance
The definition of an opposition is a conflict, resistance or disagreement.
Someone or something with similar claims of quality or distinction as another.
A plant, animal, or thing closely related in structure, etc. to another
A person who fights against a government.
A contest, or match
A substance that resists, esp. something applied as a protective coating
Financial or other help.
A fight or struggle, esp. a protracted one; war
Anything opposed or opposite
- Foe , now a somewhat literary synonym for enemy , connotes more active hostility
- Enemy may imply actual hatred in the opponent and a desire to injure, or it may simply refer to any member of the opposing group, nation, etc. in a conflict, whether or not there is personal animosity or hostility involved
- Adversary usually suggests actual hostility in the conflict
- Antagonist implies more active opposition, esp. in a struggle for control or power
- Opponent , an unemotional word, refers to anyone who is opposed to one, as in a fight, game, contest, or debate
Find another word for opponent. In this page you can discover 48 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for opponent, like: competitor, learned colleague, defender, colleague, partner, helper, associate, claimant, emulator, striver and contender.