Part of speech:
(Rare) A person having no religious faith
A person who forms opinions about religion, politics, morals, etc., independently of or counter to tradition, authority, or established belief
The definition of an infidel is a person who you consider a heathen because he does not adhere to the religion you believe is the true religion.
The definition of a skeptic is someone inclined to doubt or question rather than just believe matters that are generally accepted.
A person who does not accept any, or any particular, religious belief
A person who believes that the human mind cannot know whether there is a God or an ultimate cause, or anything beyond material phenomena
Alternative capitalization of Heathen (an adherent of the Germanic neo-pagan faith of Heathenry).
- Infidel is applied to a person not believing in a certain religion or the prevailing religion
- Unbeliever is a more negative term, simply designating, without further qualification, one who does not accept any religious belief
- Freethinker , the current parallel term, similarly implies rejection of the tenets and traditions of formal religion as incompatible with reason
- Deist , a historical term, was applied to 18th-century rationalists who believed in God as a creative, moving force but who otherwise rejected formal religion and its doctrines of revelation, divine authority, etc.
- An agnostic questions the existence of God, heaven, etc. in the absence of material proof and in unwillingness to accept supernatural revelation
- An atheist rejects all religious belief and denies the existence of God
Find another word for atheist. In this page you can discover 26 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for atheist, like: nullifidian, freethinker, nonbeliever, infidel, nihilist, materialist, skeptic, disbeliever, unbeliever, deist and atheism.