Another word for atheist
- Infidel is applied to a person not believing in a certain religion or the prevailing religion
- Unbeliever is a more negative term, simply designating, without further qualification, one who does not accept any religious belief
- Freethinker , the current parallel term, similarly implies rejection of the tenets and traditions of formal religion as incompatible with reason
- Deist , a historical term, was applied to 18th-century rationalists who believed in God as a creative, moving force but who otherwise rejected formal religion and its doctrines of revelation, divine authority, etc.
- An agnostic questions the existence of God, heaven, etc. in the absence of material proof and in unwillingness to accept supernatural revelation
- An atheist rejects all religious belief and denies the existence of God