The almshouses, known as St John's hospital, were founded in 1602; and in 1637 a free grammar school was endowed by Lady Grace Manners.
On the 18th of July 1542 it was surrendered to Henry VIII., and its possessions granted to Robert Dacres on condition of maintaining the grammar school and paying the master £10 a year, the same salary as the headmasters of Winchester and Eton, and maintaining the almshouse.
There is a grammar-school.
To the west of the town is the grammar school of Giggleswick, one of the principal public schools in the north of England, founded in 15.12.
From 1834 to 1862 he was headmaster of Clapham grammar school.