A naval school and a modern factory and arsenal were established.
The arsenal was founded about the year 1104 by the doge Ordelap Falier.
It is the see of a bishopric and headquarters of an important military district, having an arsenal and military barracks.
It possesses an arsenal and a mint.
It is the headquarters of a military command, and the residence of a Roman Catholic bishop; its principal buildings are the cathedral, military college, arsenal and observatory.