Its foundation dates from the year 1030, while the nave is Romanesque of the middle of the 12th century, with much pointed work.
Later he erected the priory, for canons of his order, of which the nave and transepts of the church remain.
It was not completed, however, till the 19th century, when the west portal and towers and two bays of the nave were added, according to the plans of Violletle-Duc. The fine stained glass of the windows dates from the 13th to the 15th centuries.
The nave passes from Norman to Early English in the course of its eight bays from east to west and also from the arcade through the triforium to the clerestory.