The art association of Indianapolis was founded in 1883; and under its auspices is conducted an art school (1902) in accordance with the bequest of John Herron (1817-1895), the school and museum of the association being housed in the John Herron Art Institute, dedicated in 1906.
Towards the close of the 14th century all the separate portions had come by inheritance or bequest into the hands of Rudolph IV.
The institution owes its origin to a bequest left by John McDonogh.
According to Aubrey, Selden left him an equal bequest, but this seems to be a mistake.
The Cassie Gift arose out of a bequest by Alexander Cassie of London, a native of Banff, who left £ 20,000 to the poor of the town - the interest being divided twice a year.