The town hall and the parochial offices are the principal administrative buildings.
In the words of Hallam, "the slow and gradual manner in which parochial churches became independent appears to be of itself a sufficient answer to those who ascribe a great antiquity to the universal payment of tithes."
The public-school system was supplemented by parochial schools which had in 1920 650 teachers and 33,000 pupils.
It continues to the present day in the universal survival of the parochial system.
Both Protestant churches have a parochial organization and a presbyterian form of church government.