The German government in 1899 declared Kiaochow a free port.
Wei-hai-wei being a free port no duties of any kind are collected there.
The jurisdiction of the Free Port was on the 1st of January 1882 restricted to the city and port by the extension of the Zollverein to the lower Elbe, and in 1888 the whole of the state of Hamburg, with the exception of the so-called "Free Harbour" (which comprises the port proper and some large warehouses, set apart for goods in bond), was taken into the Zollverein.
It was a free port and had a considerable trade in wool and wine.
It was an imperial free port from 1719 until 1891.