In 1870 a hospice for poorer pilgrims was erected.
At last the hospice was finished and the cave opened for inspection.
The hospice, near the summit, was founded about 1160, but the pass was certainly used at a much earlier date.
After holding for some years the office of directress of the Hospice Trivulzio for Blue Nuns at Milan, she herself joined the sisterhood, and in this austere order ended her days on the 9th of January 1799.
To this century may also be assigned the hospice on the Simplon; to the 14th those on the St Gothard and the Lukmanier.