The present parish church belonged to an abbey founded in 837 by St Bernard, bishop of Vienne.
The restored church of St Michael, formerly a parish church, but standing on a hill about 2 m.
A stone bridge over the Wye connects the town with the village and parish church of Cwmdauddwr.
CHADERTON, LAURENCE (?1536-1640), Puritan divine, was born at Lees Hall, in the parish of Oldham, Lancashire, probably in September 1536, being t41e second son of Edmund Chaderton, Scale, 1:3,350,000 o lo Miles 50 to ...mostly a gentleman of an ancient and wealthy family, and a zealous Catholic. Under the tuition of Laurence Vaux, a priest, he became an able scholar.