- Loot , a more derogatory equivalent for any of the preceding, emphasizes the immorality or predatory nature of the act
- Prize refers specifically to spoils taken at sea, esp. the taking of an enemy warship or its cargo
- Plunder is equivalent to pillage but also applies to property taken by bandits, highwaymen, etc.
- Pillage suggests violence and destructiveness in the taking of spoils
- Spoil s (occasionally spoil) refers to any property, territory, etc. taken in war by the conqueror
- Booty suggests property taken by a band or gang, to be divided among the members