A stockade fort was erected on the site of the city in 1808, but was burned in 1813.
The English occupied the place on the next day and General Forbes ordered the immediate erection of a stockade fort near the site of the old one.
No shelter had been provided for the inmates: the first arrivals made rude sheds from the debris of the stockade; the others made tents of blankets and other available pieces of cloth, or dug pits in the ground.
Square at the mouth of the St Croix for a fort; and at Little Falls (in the middle of October) he built a stockade, where he left seven men.
A stockade fort was built here in 1791 by General Arthur Saint Clair, but it was abandoned in 1796, two years after the place had been laid out as a town and named Fairfield.