On the one hand there is fear and regret for the loss of the whole edifice constructed through the ages, on the other is the passion for destruction.
The oldest part of the present edifice dates from the 13th century, and extensive additions have been made since 1887.
The year 1810 saw the crown set to that edifice by the annexations of Holland and of the north-west coast of Germany.
The Istrian stone of which the edifice is built has taken a fine patina, which makes the whole look like some richly embossed casket in oxidized silver.
She is also designated as Nin-Khar-sag, "Lady of the mountain," which name stands in some relationship to Im-Khar-sag, "storm mountain" - the name of the staged tower or sacred edifice to Bel at Nippur.