The south pavilion of the present house is the original brick building, one and a half storeys high, first occupied by Jefferson in 1770.
A new building was completed in 1899, the magnetic pavilion lying some 400 yds.
A fine pavilion or kiosk, named de l'Etoile, has also survived.
Of these the most remarkable is the Pavilion, built as a residence for the prince regent (afterwards George IV.) and remodelled in 1819 by the architect, John Nash, in a grotesque Eastern style of architecture.
From a fishing town in 1656 it became a fashionable resort in 1756; its popularity increased after the visit of the prince of Wales (see George Iv.) to the duke of Cumberland in 1783, and was ensured by his building the Pavilion in 1784-1787, and his adoption of it as his principal residence; and his association with Mrs Fitzherbert at Brighton was the starting-point of its fashionable repute.