On the adjacent Marienplatz are the old townhall, dating from the 14th century and restored in 1865, and the new town-hall, the latter a magnificent modern Gothic erection, freely embellished with statues, frescoes, and stainedglass windows, and enlarged in 1900-1905.
It has a fine quay, townhall and park.
The townhall contains a collection of municipal and mining laws dating as far back as 1389.
The interesting Renaissance townhall was built in 1554 (restored in 1879).
The public buildings include two hospitals, a townhall, music hall, library and reading room and science institute.