Several weeks elapsed before the true character of the disease was known, and in this brief space it had already been carried by animals purchased in Smithfield market to all parts of the country.
With regard to this point the work of the Smithfield Club deserves recognition.
This body was instituted in 1798 as the Smithfield Cattle and Sheep Society, the title being [[Table Xix]].
changed to that of the Smithfield Club in 1802.
The original object - the supply of the cattle markets of Smithfield and other places with the cheapest and best meat - is still kept strictly in view.