Of these the black-earth region - about 150,000,000 acres - which reaches from the Carpathians to the Urals, from the Pinsk marshes in the S.W.
PINSK, a town of Russia, in the government of Minsk, at the confluence of the Strumen and Pina rivers, 196 m.
The draining of the marshes around Pinsk was begun by the government in 1872, and by 1897 8,000,000 acres had been drained at an average cost of 3s.
Pinsk (Pinesk) is first mentioned in 1097 as a town belonging to Sviatopolk, prince of Kiev.
Pinsk was annexed to Russia in 1795.