The embalmed body of the saintly founder is to be seen to this day in a side chapel of the church.
The body of Gustavus Adolphus was embalmed at Weissenfels after the battle of Lutzen.
The body was embalmed and filled with aromatic herbs, and then brought to this region, passing through the lands of various tribes.
His heart, taken from the body when it was embalmed, and given to Madame Denis and by her to Madame de Villette, was preserved in a silver case, and when it was proposed (in 1864) to restore it to the other remains, the sarcophagus at Sainte Genevieve (the Pantheon) was opened and found to be empty.
Especially in ancient Egypt the fibre occupied a most important place, linen having been there not only generally worn by all classes, but it was the only material the priestly order was permitted to wear, while it was most extensively used as wrappings for embalmed bodies and for general purposes.