He was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1759-1760.
Roger de Lacy in 1194 granted a charter to the burgesses confirming their liberties and right to be a free borough at a fee-farm of 12d.
Two burgesses were returned in 1577, but it was not again represented till the same privilege was conferred on it in 1832.
King John (1201) constituted Helleston a free borough, established a gild merchant, and granted the burgesses freedom from toll and other similar dues throughout the realm, and the cognizance of all pleas within the borough except crown pleas.
The incorporation charter of 1468 granted these to the burgesses, who continue to hold them.