The first charter was that granted by the prior and convent in 1252, by which Weymouth was made a free borough and port for all merchants, the burgesses holding their burgages by the same customs as those of Portsmouth and Southampton.
There were also certain burgesses, holding twenty-eight burgages.
The town government during this period was by the bishop's bailiff, and the holders of the burgages composed the juries of the bishop's courts leet and baron.
It had a market, a mint and two churches, and the borough contained 123 burgages.
Monmouth probably had burgages in the twelfth century, although it was not incorporated until 1447.