In 1140 a Benedictine monastery was founded here by Ralph Boteler of Oversley, and received the name of the Church of Our Lady of the Isle, owing to its insulation by a moat meeting the river Arrow.
The educational institutions include a free grammar school, founded by one of the Boteler family in 1526, and a blue-coat school (1665).
In 1255 William le Boteler obtained a charter from Henry III.
A borough was created by William le Boteler about 1230 by a charter which has not been preserved; but its growing strength alarmed the lord who contrived to repress it before 1300, and for over Soo years Warrington was governed by the lord's manor court.
The manor of Badminton was acquired in 1608 from Nicolas Boteler (to whose family it had belonged for several centuries) by Thomas, Viscount Somerset (d.